Why choose a career at the Commercial Bar?
A career at the Commercial Bar is challenging and intellectually stimulating, as well as potentially well-remunerated.
If you are a student or graduate with:
- a high level of intellectual ability;
- an ability to be articulate and persuasive in written and spoken English;
- an ability to think and communicate clearly under pressure;
- determination, stamina and a strong work ethic;
then a career at the Commercial Bar should be high up your list of potential careers.
Our careers brochure provides a detailed insight into becoming a commercial barrister and highlights the key benefits including:
- The opportunity to be a specialist advocate, dealing with complex problems across a variety of commercial situations, cross-examining witnesses and using your intellect, skill and powers of persuasion.
- Independence and a sense of control over when and in what circumstances you work.
- Travel to centres of international finance and business such as Hong Kong, New York, Dubai, Singapore and offshore jurisdictions.
- Pro-bono work for those in need of assistance but without the necessary funds.
- Financial rewards
COMBAR does not itself recruit future barristers, but its many member sets of chambers each offer a number of pupillages (the professional stage of training required to become a barrister). Their websites can be consulted, or you can see the careers brochure for more details.