Who we are and what we do
Combar is the specialist association of the English and Welsh Bar for commercial barristers advising the international business community.
Combar represents just over 1,600 individual practitioner members of the English Commercial Bar, and 39 leading barristers’ chambers, all of whom are self-employed or employed barristers providing specialist advice, advocacy and mediation services in relation to commercial law for businesses, individuals and other organisations.
Combar provides a range of services for its members. These include:
- Representing the interests of the Commercial Bar to The Bar Council and The Bar Standards Board. We also liaise with other professional bodies in the UK and internationally, regarding the work of the Commercial Bar and its members.
- Promoting the reputation of the Commercial Bar as a provider of legal services to the international legal and business community and facilitating the development of relationships between Combar members and that community, in particular, through Combar’s International Committees for North America, Africa, Asia and off-shore.
- Responding to consultation papers issued by the UK Government, the Judiciary, the Law Commission, as well as European and other international organisations that shape law and practice, to ensure that the Commercial Bar’s interests are communicated and taken into account.
- Supporting Continuing Professional Development. Combar provides a wide variety of seminars, lectures and events. Most are accredited for CPD for NPP.
- Supporting Pro Bono initiatives and initiatives to improve equality and diversity at the Commercial Bar.